Frequently Asked Questions
Is the library open or is there staff available for help?
- We are not open to the public at this time, however, there will be staff answering the phones from 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday to assist you.
When will the library decide whether or not to open to the public on May 4th?
- The Trustees of the library will meet on May 3rd and make a determination based on local safety.
Should I return my books or wait until the library reopens?
- Please hold on to any items you have out until the library reopens. The due date on all items has been updated to 5/4/2020 so that no late fees will accrue while we are closed.
What if I am notified that I have an item on reserve?
- Once the item is available, we will hold your item until we reopen. You will not be able to pick it up until then.
Can I still reserve items or call to request an item even though the library is closed to the public?
- We are not currently open for circulation. While you can reserve or request items, they will not be available to pick up until the library reopens.
How do I login to Libby, Hoopla or Kanopy?
- For Libby, you need to have the app downloaded onto your phone or tablet. From there, select Gilford Public Library as your library and login with the last six digits of your library card. Your password is the same as logging in to your GPL account. By default this is the phone number you have on file with us. If it is a NH number, only use the seven digits; out of state please include the area code.
- Hoopla also needs to be installed on your device. You do need to create an account by putting in your email and creating a password. From there, you will need to put in the last six digits of your library card and putting in the seven digit or ten digit phone number you have on file with GPL.
- Kanopy is much the same as the previous. You will click on “get started” which will prompt you to choose your public library. After selecting GPL, you will put in your library card number and your seven or ten digit phone number.
What remote services are offered through the library?
- In addition to Libby, Hoopla and Kanopy, we have a selection of databases available for your use through the Reference/Research tab on the GPL website or through the home page of the catalog. You will need your 13 digit library card number in order to access these.
- Also in the Reference/Research tab, there are a variety of things to fight boredom under the heading Online Activities, Resources, and More!
- Our children’s librarians are also conducting story times through our Facebook page! These will be held at 10:30am so please, feel free to join in! We are also constantly posting links to additional fun things to do on Facebook so check in frequently!
- If you need assistance with homework, select either the Children or Teen tabs and click on Homework Help.
- We also offer online access to Consumer Reports and Concord Monitor. Contact the library for information on how to log in.
- If you enjoy crafting, Creative Bug is coming to our website soon! We’ll be offering some of the classes for your use.
- Teens – To help connect teens and tweens during this time of social distancing, the Library has created a Discord server open to all teens and tweens served by the Gilford Public Library. It is a free tool allowing for communication over text channels and voice channels. Create a Discord account and contact the library for the link to join the library server! (please do not share the link with anyone outside the local homeschool coop or the Gilford School District).
- Using this new tool, the Gilford Public Library will host a Game Club daily on week days from 2:30-3:30pm starting on Friday, March 20th lead by Mark Hassler and Mark Thomas. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the library at 603.524.6042 with any questions or comments.